Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Stickman Bangkok packs it in after two decades

1 hour ago, toxicfume said:

The era of Trink and Stickman have ended. Times are a'changin. Welcome to the era of My Mate Nate....

Noooooo! nuff said.

i talk with that man one time in my life and something very wrong with that guy i can you tell you that ....one of my happiest day in my life :) great news :) celebrating!

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I completely agree with the Father and the other posters reminiscence on Thailand and its current lack of real fun. Yes, I was here in the 60s and every year after that.  The nightlife scene in Thailand and Bangkok in general is now approaching the nightlife scene in America and Europe-  give me the money and then leave me alone-.  The  working girls are bored to death; lack a real Thai smile; and can't even fake an interest except in  one's pocket and how to get it from your hand to theirs.   Then there is the ubiquitous - so called- smart phones in which every word and every action can be documented and sent around the World. One can't even be themselves  lest the whole World know where you are and what you are doing. I threw mine away years ago.

I visited Soi Cowboy a few weeks ago not having gone down there for years- I even talked to a few owners I knew and they all indicated that the industries golden years are gone. There are a few old time punters around but with higher prices; lower exchange rates and crackdowns by the police- the fun is not there. they know that at some point Nana , Cowboy and the others will all be gone so they're trying to get as much as they can from the unlucky punters which in turn just drives more people away. There is no place for  Trink or Stickman today because the scene they reported on is in its death throes.

If you want to find out what Thailand was like in its heyday- head for Cambodia; Vietnam or even Mongolia.

Ah, you mean sex tourism in its heyday.

• Like 1

Not sure why folks feel it necessary to get so deep into what were just columns written for entertainment?

I read Stick from the start up, Trink gave him publicity from day one, did I agree with everything they wrote? No, but it was at times both helpful and entertaining information, just what it was supposed to be!

Personally I will miss reading his musings on the odd occasion - when I have nothing better to entertain myself with :shock1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Stickman has made enough money from the gullible and socially naïve,  predominantly expats and visitors here in Thailand, that he should just retire gracefully so the world and the fools encapsulated by his bias can forget him.

I guess you must have read him though. Otherwise how would you know what the biased content was that you claim fooled the 'gullible and socially naive'.:cheesy::unsure:

I read that crap before coming to Thailand for the first time.  Warped my perception of the Thai people.  That's really only 5-10% of the Thai "culture".

The other 90-95% has nothing to do with anything he wrote.  So, an extremely narrow view not "wise" or "experienced" at all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The blogger, a man from New Zealand named Nick

His name isn't Nick. Where did Coconuts make that up from?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The times they are a changin'.

We the lucky few that were here in our 20's through the 80's, 90's and early 00's.

Stick, whom I have met several times for a wee drinkie, knows like the rest of us long-term expats, that the gig is up in Thailand. 

and since '71 I thought I was  the only one who knew it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I completely agree with the Father and the other posters reminiscence on Thailand and its current lack of real fun. Yes, I was here in the 60s and every year after that.  The nightlife scene in Thailand and Bangkok in general is now approaching the nightlife scene in America and Europe-  give me the money and then leave me alone-.  The  working girls are bored to death; lack a real Thai smile; and can't even fake an interest except in  one's pocket and how to get it from your hand to theirs.   Then there is the ubiquitous - so called- smart phones in which every word and every action can be documented and sent around the World. One can't even be themselves  lest the whole World know where you are and what you are doing. I threw mine away years ago.

I visited Soi Cowboy a few weeks ago not having gone down there for years- I even talked to a few owners I knew and they all indicated that the industries golden years are gone. There are a few old time punters around but with higher prices; lower exchange rates and crackdowns by the police- the fun is not there. they know that at some point Nana , Cowboy and the others will all be gone so they're trying to get as much as they can from the unlucky punters which in turn just drives more people away. There is no place for  Trink or Stickman today because the scene they reported on is in its death throes.

If you want to find out what Thailand was like in its heyday- head for Cambodia; Vietnam or even Mongolia.

totally agree.  What was once a fun place is now just a sad and dangerous place.

• Like 1