soistalker

3000 baht quarterly bribe for education visa?!

On 8/24/2017 at 9:32 PM, oldhippy said:

Every farang that uses an ED visa to stay in Thailand is abusing the spirit of visa regulations.

Complaining about corruption surrounding these semi legal activities is ridiculous.

It is of course a good idea to learn Thai if you stay in Thailand long time - but in that case you should already have a proper visa.

I wouldn't say every, I know a guy that was living in Thailand staying on a ED visa and was studying at a Thai University. 

• Like 1

On 25/08/2017 at 9:35 AM, impulse said:

I'm always amused by the policy of giving out visas for people to learn a language that will be of no use except in the country where they otherwise have no permission to stay.

There are hot Thai chicks working all over Asia and in the West.

Perhaps they'll get married to a Thai and actually be able to have a deep conversation with them. That'll then solve the permission to stay issue.

Edited by jspill

11 hours ago, jspill said:

That could be explained by other factors - like the current military government. During previous ones the situation with visas was just as hard now if not worse, according to TVF posters who lived here then (before my time). Then it got better, so it's entirely possible everything gets easier again at some future point, and you don't have to get your ministry of labor letter / full set of company docs any longer. 

There's also never actually been a statement to the effect of 'we're changing things because of people living here too long on tourists visas and exempts'. That's a misnomer. It's actually always been down to illegal workers and criminals. (Plus the military enforcing rules that already existed but didn't get enforced before.)

There are no set limits in law to how long one can 'be a tourist'. Being one for too long isn't a thing.

Neither is being a student who pays for their course but their heart isn't really in it and they just want to live here, an issue.

During the Ed visa crackdown of 2014-5 all the official statements about it talked about illegal workers and criminals being on Ed visas. Nothing about 'using Ed visa to live here'. If you pay for the course and attend, you get to live here, simple as that. 

Example statements refer to criminals and drug dealers and simply ask that students study longer hours. 

TvEdl5w.png

Original Thai: 

Those that actually work illegally / commit crimes are the ones making things worse for everyone, not those who simply use lots of tourist visa / exempts / study Thai. They're not the same thing. That's a false equivalency perpetuated by some angry types on Thaivisa.

I agree with some of what you say.  Thailand has always said if you want to stay in Thailand get the correct visa.  I've been working and living in Thailand since mid 90's believe me it has changed allot.  For a non-B visa you need to have a letter from the ministry of Labor or a current work permit along with all the corporate papers and tax documents. As I said I used to only have a letter from a potential employer.  Overstaying used to be no big deal, fine used to be 200B a day. In mid 2000's it jumped up to 500B day. Then in what 2015/2016 the ban started for overstaying.  I dont see things changing with immigration relaxing anything and I dont see that the military has done anything different from the government. 

Several baiting and bickering posts have been removed. Time to end it.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 7:50 AM, gamini said:

Exactly right,  most of the farangs are abusing the system in order to stay here. So they are just as corrupt as the immigration officers. 

Nonsense.  They're playing the system.  You can argue they're doing something wrong, but they're doing nothing illegal.  Taking and giving bribes is illegal and is punishable with serious jail time, as we saw last week.  Completely different.

• Like 2

Funny comments.

my farang wife and I bought a condo here. We plan to retire here. We want to start a business which would require giving direction to Thai employees who will not speak English. 

I want to get a legal visa to study here. I don't want to get scammed and I don't want to pay money to little people who abuse their government positions to get handouts. 

I feel dirty to be involved in this kind of thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, soistalker said:

Funny comments.

my farang wife and I bought a condo here. We plan to retire here. We want to start a business which would require giving direction to Thai employees who will not speak English. 

I want to get a legal visa to study here. I don't want to get scammed and I don't want to pay money to little people who abuse their government positions to get handouts. 

I feel dirty to be

involved in this kind of thing.

Thus welcome to LOS and way of the Thai (Some)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rhys said:

Thus welcome to LOS and way of the Thai (Some)

Thanks. I've been coming here several times a year for about 20 years. I finally figured out how to stay here. 

But I figured out about LOS and everything it is here, thanks in great part to this website, and others.

when I hear that I am a sexy man, I still believe it though.?