Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Samui’s garbage problem is getting out of control

Recommended Posts

" I have the power. I can do what I will"

Something was said by that Soldier.

So, why not use your ultimate power to solve that problem?

And don't come with solutions as burn it or wash it into the ocean.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

" I have the power. I can do what I will"

Something was said by that Soldier.

So, why not use your ultimate power to solve that problem?

And don't come with solutions as burn it or wash it into the ocean.....

Sadly that is not going to happen. There is no, or very little, acceptance of effective common sense farang thinking (or solutions) in Thailand! :post-4641-1156693976:

 

How can you think such thoughts?  :whistling: You're a 'bad' person. :biggrin: :biggrin:

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Sadly that is not going to happen. There is no, or very little, acceptance of effective common sense farang thinking (or solutions) in Thailand! :post-4641-1156693976:

 

How can you think such thoughts?  :whistling: You're a 'bad' person. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mea Culpa. Sorry. I seem to be a fool

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Push it to one edge of the island, then out to sea & start a new island !!

Yes, incinerating causes air pollution. Put it on barges and heave ho.

 

One would think when you are planning a tourism area to have things figured out. But money flows in mysterious ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Yes, incinerating causes air pollution. Put it on barges and heave ho.

 

One would think when you are planning a tourism area to have things figured out. But money flows in mysterious ways.

Sadly , trucking it to big barges , shipping it to the mainland , and trucking it to yet another land site causes  near as much air pollution and does not get rid of the problem. Since simple economics makes ( poor ) Thais pretty efficient recyclers at the trash bin level , Im guessing there isnt a lot of plastic/aluminium/glass in this stockpile anyway. The solution is probably to get the incinerator going again asap and run it 24/7. Sure residents will complain , the stench must have them complaining already , but the need to stop this ticking time bomb is paramount...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, elgenon said:

Yes, incinerating causes air pollution. Put it on barges and heave ho.

 

One would think when you are planning a tourism area to have things figured out. But money flows in mysterious ways.

"But money flows in mysterious ways."   Not really - it just keeps flowing upwards :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, longtom said:

My Thai partner is very ashamed about such things, she suggested that Thailand (or at least Samui) should be sold to another country, preferably Switzerland, they would ensure good maintenance. :shock1:

.

"...she suggested that Thailand (or at least Samui) should be sold to another country,..."  Too late, it has already been 'sold' to China.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE - it’s 30-rai landfill now holding more than 200,000 tons of accumulated garbage

 

Just to take a shower with water from a drilled well on this island would require a radiation protection suit - saved by the bell last year when the freshwater pipeline from shore was connected...

 

The island may be a ticking bomb when it comes to epidemic eruptions...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My original thread seems to have disappeared.  My point is that the local authorities are removing public dustbin bins which is leading to garbage being left on the roadsides.  Removing bins is not going solve the problem - in fact it will only make it worse.  People have to discard rubbish.  The beautiful island, Koh Samui,  will become a tourist eyesore and may prevent tourists from returning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Samuiclaudia said:

My original thread seems to have disappeared.  My point is that the local authorities are removing public dustbin bins which is leading to garbage being left on the roadsides.  Removing bins is not going solve the problem - in fact it will only make it worse.  People have to discard rubbish.  The beautiful island, Koh Samui,  will become a tourist eyesore and may prevent tourists from returning.  

You need to understand the basic principal here.

 

Collecting garbage requires money. Money for people, garbage trucks, incinerator plants etc.

 

There are NO land taxes, house taxes, community taxes or council taxes in Thailand. The ONLY money for collecting garbage comes from the monthly fee that we should all pay. If you do not pay - do not complain. The government has decided to remove the bins because very few people are paying. It is NOT a government problem - they do not create the piles of garbage. Residents and tourists do that. If you pay the tax, you can put a bin on the road near your property. Soon, all of your neighbours and some people from further away (who do not pay the tax) will dump their garbage in your bin - creating a huge eyesore. The government will see that one person is paying but many many are dumping garbage, ergo the bin gets removed.

 

Until all residents admit to themselves that we are the problem (it is our garbage) and sign up to pay the garbage tax, this issue will not be resolved.

 

The old, over-used excuse that 'I only rent, it is my landlord's problem' is incorrect. It is YOUR garbage - YOUR problem.

 

The tax is due on each individual property. A landlord with 6 bungalows would have to pay for the tax x 6. Hotels and commercial properties have a different agreement and usually pay larger sums of money for garbage disposal.

 

To take your comment - "People have to discard rubbish." Yes. And they should pay to have it removed! This is a worl-wide princilpal.

 

I charge my customers for garbage removal and I pay the taxes on their behalf.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tropicalevo said:

You need to understand the basic principal here.

 

Collecting garbage requires money. Money for people, garbage trucks, incinerator plants etc.

 

There are NO land taxes, house taxes, community taxes or council taxes in Thailand. The ONLY money for collecting garbage comes from the monthly fee that we should all pay. If you do not pay - do not complain. The government has decided to remove the bins because very few people are paying. It is NOT a government problem - they do not create the piles of garbage. Residents and tourists do that. If you pay the tax, you can put a bin on the road near your property. Soon, all of your neighbours and some people from further away (who do not pay the tax) will dump their garbage in your bin - creating a huge eyesore. The government will see that one person is paying but many many are dumping garbage, ergo the bin gets removed.

 

Until all residents admit to themselves that we are the problem (it is our garbage) and sign up to pay the garbage tax, this issue will not be resolved.

 

The old, over-used excuse that 'I only rent, it is my landlord's problem' is incorrect. It is YOUR garbage - YOUR problem.

 

The tax is due on each individual property. A landlord with 6 bungalows would have to pay for the tax x 6. Hotels and commercial properties have a different agreement and usually pay larger sums of money for garbage disposal.

 

To take your comment - "People have to discard rubbish." Yes. And they should pay to have it removed! This is a world-wide principal.

 

I charge my customers for garbage removal and I pay the taxes on their behalf.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2017 at 11:51 AM, longtom said:

My Thai partner is very ashamed about such things, she suggested that Thailand (or at least Samui) should be sold to another country, preferably Switzerland, they would ensure good maintenance. :shock1:

.

And you would all HAVE to pay the appropriate taxes or go to gaol.

 

Your Thai partner should not be ashamed - she should just encourage everyone to pay the garbage tax. Do you pay it?

Edited by Tropicalevo
Correct spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

And you would all HAVE to pay the approprate taxes or go to gaol.

 

Your Thai partner should not be ashamed - she should just encourage everyone to pay the gabage tax. Do you pay it?

 

First she was ashamed about the story with the incinerator, how they let if fall into disrepair because the money for maintenance went into politicians pockets and Samui is in a f$%#ed up situation because of that.

 

Yes we pay dilligently every month for our shop. We rent our home all inclusive, fixed price including water/electricity and as we assume also garbage fee. It is really not up to us to ask our house owner about whether he pays, the family is extremely rich and owns many property and a chain of gold shops.

 

I must say though that the very nice lady who collects the garbage fee told us many times about her problems with collecting the fee from Thais, many refuse to pay and abuse her verbally in the process, she seems really depressed about that. But again that's the duty of the Thessaban to enforce payment.

 

And finally, they recently removed the last public bin in Nathon, in front of the Seatran ferry ticket and queuing area. For quite some time everybody here has to put out the garbage at a certain time, around 6PM, all in plastic bags which are of course often torn apart by dogs. To be fair, this bags are collected diligently every evening/night,but I think thats not the same everywhere on the island.

 

And of course all Tourists have nowhere to dispose of their garbage except maybe at some 7/11s.

 

:jap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

And you would all HAVE to pay the appropriate taxes or go to gaol.

 

Your Thai partner should not be ashamed - she should just encourage everyone to pay the garbage tax. Do you pay it?

Since you posted the same in the other thread I will post my answer here also:

 

First she was ashamed about the story with the incinerator, how they let if fall into disrepair because the money for maintenance went into politicians pockets and Samui is in a f$%#ed up situation because of that.

 

Yes we pay dilligently every month for our shop. We rent our home all inclusive, fixed price including water/electricity and as we assume also garbage fee. It is really not up to us to ask our house owner about whether he pays, the family is extremely rich and owns many property and a chain of gold shops.

 

I must say though that the very nice lady who collects the garbage fee told us many times about her problems with collecting the fee from Thais, many refuse to pay and abuse her verbally in the process, she seems really depressed about that. But again that's the duty of the Thessaban to enforce payment.

 

And finally, they recently removed the last public bin in Nathon, in front of the Seatran ferry ticket and queuing area. For quite some time everybody here has to put out the garbage at a certain time, around 6PM, all in plastic bags which are of course often torn apart by dogs. To be fair, this bags are collected diligently every evening/night,but I think thats not the same everywhere on the island.

 

And of course all Tourists have nowhere to dispose of their garbage except maybe at some 7/11s.

 

:jap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 15 December 2017 00:14
Sponsors
×